Top 5 Slip and Fall Injury Facts
- A slip and fall injury is a type of tort or civil case: This means it is a private lawsuit that one person brings against another in order to recover monetary damages.
- A personal injury attorney can help you bring a tort case - If you want to sue as a result of your fall and your injuries, a personal injury attorney can help you file the necessary papers and collect the necessary evidence to do so.
- It is your burden to prove the negligence - If you fall and hurt yourself, the other party is liable only if their actions were a breach of legal duty that caused your fall. As the plaintiff, it is your burden to prove this. You must prove it by a preponderance of the evidence, which means you have to prove that- more likely than not- the defendant was negligent in creating the conditions that led to your fall.
- You will have to prove damages - This means you have to prove you actually suffered some type of harm that you can be monetarily compensated for. The more severely injured you are, the more monetary compensation will be appropriate to pay for your medical bills, pain and suffering, or emotional distress. Under law, your recovery can be reduced if your negligence contributed to your injury.
- Most slip and fall cases settle out of court. This means that most of the time, you will not have to go to trial, and the defendant will simply offer you a lump sum payment. The attorney’s at Stamm Romero & Associates, PC, LLO, can help you to assess your case and calculate your damages to help you determine the potential success of your personal injury lawsuit.
Contact us today for your FREE ½ hour in-office consultation with the lawyers of Stamm Romero & Associates PC, LLO located in Kearney or in Lexington by appointment. We accept all credit cards, including Discover and AmEx.